NH State Register of Historic Places

Four properties added

Press Release

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added four properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

      Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

      Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; and

      Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants.

The following are the most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places:

The Brentwood Meetinghouse, built in 1815 to serve as both a church and town meeting place, stands as a symbol of meetinghouse design transition in southeastern New Hampshire. Its distinctive two-story central pavilion topped with a three-stage tower help make it an important architectural landmark.

Built circa 1820 on the east side of what is now Route 3, the Stratford Grange served as the town’s meeting house until it was moved to the west side in 1896. It was then the home of the New Hampshire State Grange of the Order of Patron of Husbandry Stratford 238, which, unlike many organizations of the time, was open to both men and women.

The Wiggin-Raynes Barn in Exeter is part of a property that has been farmed since the late 17th century. Chase Wiggin built the massive 95-by-42-foot barn prior to the Civil War and developed a sizable cattle market for livestock that were being driven from northern New England to Boston.

A substantial farm complex, the Adams Homestead in Newington, dates to approximately 1717, soon after Rev. Joseph Adams – a relative of President John Adams and President John Quincy Adams – became the first member of the family to settle in the area. Eight generations of the Adams family have owned and farmed the property.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.