Andover Selectboard Approved Minutes, June 3, 2019

By Patricia Moyer

Meeting convened at 6:32 PM
PRESENT: Marj Roy, Town Administrator; Chuck Keyser, Select Board Chair; Dave Blinn and Bill Keyser, Select Board Members; John Thompson, Road Agent; Elita Reed, Bookkeeper; and Police Chief Joe Mahoney
Also present were: Charlie Darling; Laurie Cox, Nobis Group; and Ken Tripp
ROAD AGENT REPORT by John Thompson
The Highway Department has been working on mowing and catching up on work at the cemeteries and beaches. They will be mowing all week unless it rains and then they will work on patching roads.  

Extra plastic trash barrels need to be put at Proctor Cemetery.

Shirley and Poplar Streets – Hoyle Tanner Engineers will meet with Thompson on Tuesday, June 11 at 8:00 AM regarding the recharge basins

Boston Hill Road -Thompson looked at area of #158 where there is a water issue. The homeowner built a trench down the property line adjacent to the stone wall along the driveway. The water drainage is altered and the water is diverted into the roadway. Thompson needs assistance on how to handle the problem the trench created. NH RSA 236:39 prohibits this type of activity. After discussion, the Board requested Thompson have a conversation with the abutting homeowner. Thompson will add this item to the list of tasks.

Fenton sand pile – Thompson will check in the morning to see if the pile is gone.

Gale Road Bridge – Thompson has not gotten over to actually view the problem but has a plan on how to remedy the situation. The Highway Department should be able to repair it.

Beach House Roof – This week is catch-up week but this project will be worked on as soon as possible. The roof material is here and it should only take about one day to complete the roof.
Keyser Road Tree Work – There is a big rotted hemlock leaning over the home at the first house on the left at 17 Keyser Road. Thompson will add this to the work list.

Valley Road – It is on the Spring work list for cleaning out the catch basin and grading.

See attached email.
Darling discussed with Alan Hanscom his concerns about the Cilleyville Bog Bridge. After discussing this with Hanscom, Darling feels the bridge needs to be stabilized sooner rather than later. Additionally, the wetland permitting should be started.  

Thompson indicated that the Highway Department can help but he felt that Tim Andrews from Barns and Bridges is really the expert in this field and would at least like him to look at it first before the wetland permits are applied for.

Once Andrews looks at the bridge and gives his opinion, then fundraising can be discussed. Darling suggested contacting previous committee members might be helpful If not, then maybe the Historical Society could be helpful for the fundraising aspect.  

Roy will contact Andres tomorrow.

LAURIE COX from the Nobis Group
Cox reviewed the process information for the previous landfill closure on Monticello Drive. The Ground Water Permit is set to expire in January 2020.There are two inspections yearly. The reports are due the following March. Eastern Analytical does the sampling and Nobis does the reporting.

Roy indicated this was budgeted for last year. Please see attached.

Roy will do a formal proposal and contact Cox tomorrow.

RECYCLING by Ken Tripp
Tripp discussed with the Board his belief of the importance to promote recycling with the youth in town. Tripp would like to see recycling at their baseball games. The trash cans are overflowing with items that could be recycled. Additionally, Tripp stated that there is no recycling at the 4th of July Celebration and he would like to see that happen at that event.

The Board explained that whoever is using the facilities, should be cleaning up the trash. Whether it is the baseball folks or the Recreation Department. Baseball and the Recreation Department are two different entities. Baseball is privately funded while the Recreation Department sports are publicly funded with Town money. The Select Board is trying to get each entity to self-police and clean up after they use the facilities. The Town would provide the cans and the folks using the park should supply the trash liners. It was suggested that a holding area be built and locked so that animals do not get into the trash.

Tripp stated that the youth need to get involved with recycling in these areas. Tripp suggested having the Andover Elementary/Middle School students get involved by doing an art project for recycling that can be displayed at the 4th of July Celebration.

Northeast Resource Recovery Association (NRRA) will typically provide containers for free for events such as the 4th of July Celebration. Roy will contact the school and contact NRRA tomorrow to find out what programs they have to offer for events.

The Board and Tripp would like to sit down with the Recreation Department and the baseball folks to coordinate. It was suggested that Tom Frantz and Alan Hanscom from the Recreation Department, along with Chris Cloutier who runs baseball, meet with the Select Board and Tripp at the next scheduled Select Board meeting on Monday, June 17. Roy will contact all involved to request their attendance.

The Board discussed each individual invoice before approving and signing. Please see attached for specific information. The following Capital Reserve Fund reimbursements were requested:
CRF Technology $12,573.03
CRF Town Revaluation $17,460.00
CRF Lawrence St Bridge $41,796.54
CRF Transfer Station Equipment $702.00
CRF Bridge Rehab. – Last St Bridge $68,224.85
CRF Bridge Rehab. – Elbow Pond Bridge $30,150.16
CRF Highway Special Project – Old College Rd $4,814.87

After review and discussion of the May 20, 2019 minutes, Bill Keyser made the motion to accept and approve the May 20, 2019 Minutes as amended. Chuck Keyser seconded the motion. All in favor. The Minutes of May 20, 2019 are approved as amended.
Notice to Andover of Regional Impact – Vertex for a Personal Wireless Service Facility (PWSF) in Bristol. A meeting will be held at the Town Hall on Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM. Roy will plan on attending this meeting.

Timber Yield Tax bills signed by all three Select Board Members are as follows:     

o Phelps – 5 Smith Road                     (Tax Map 19-517-280)                   $ 44.08
o Bent – Tucker Mountain Road (Tax Map 23-581-532)                   $ 173.56
o Dan Merzi –           (Tax Map 12-725-509)                   $ 87.76
o Duncan Coolidge – 161 Boston Hill Road        (Tax Map 10-242-166) $1266.88
o Kimberly Pease – 303 Tucker Mountain Road (Tax Map 23-582-492)    $ 248.09
o Hersey – 1057 Franklin Highway       (Tax Maps 23-038-033,  16-048-234 and 16-044-465)       $1500.05

Franklin Ambulance Agreement              Reviewed by Town Counsel and Signed by all three Select Board Members

Appointed Road Agent – Bill Keyser indicated that he spoke with John McDonald who suggested the Board speak with Paul Parker, Wilmot’s Road Agent. Parker might be helpful in gathering information on leasing big trucks, how to address getting the department equipment, etc…Bill Keyser suggested having Parker come to the next Select Board meeting.

The Board entered into Non-Public Session at 8:01 PM by Roll Call Vote:
Chuck Keyser YES Dave Blinn YES Bill Keyser YES
The Board returned to the Public Meeting at 8:15 PM by Roll Call Vote:
Chuck Keyser YES Dave Blinn YES Bill Keyser YES

Bill Keyser made the motion to adjourn the meeting. Blinn seconded the motion. All in favor. The Board adjourned the meeting at 8:15 PM.

Minutes prepared by Patricia Moyer, Select Board Secretary