Andover School Board
Andover Elementary/ Middle School
This meeting was held remotely (online/telephonically/in person) pursuant to
Governor’s Emergency Order #12, dated March 23, 2020.
As a preface to the meeting, Board Chair Aimee Menard presented the “Presiding Member’s Script To Ensure Meetings Are Compliant With The Right-to Know Law During The State Of Emergency” (See APPENDIX.)
1. Roll Call and Call to Order: The ASB organizational meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Board Chair, Aimee Menard.
In Person Board Present: Aimee Menard, Dean Barker, Adam Jones
Remote Setting Board Present: Brandon Adams- home, solo; Theresa Georges- home, solo
Administration Present: Mark MacLean, Randy Wormald, Hilary Denoncourt, Dennis Dobe, and Judith Turk
Public Present: Chris Michael, Wendy LaClair, Jeremy Menard, Michael Wiley, Jennifer Bent, Ray and Adrienne Summers, Christine Frost, Molly Morgan, Kate Scalzo, Myles McLeod, Remote Participants
2. Minutes of Previous Meetings: For the PUBLIC SESSION of September 1, 2020, Dean motioned to accept the minutes and Adam made the second. All were in favor and the minutes were approved with no discussion.
For the NON PUBLIC SESSION of September 1, 2020, Dean motioned to accept the minutes and Adam made the second. All were in favor and the minutes were approved with no discussion.
3. Finance Report: Hilary reviewed the budget details and indicated that there is a current fund balance of $80,000. Dean made the motion to accept the Finance Report. Adam seconded. All were in favor and the finance report was approved.
4. Board Chairperson’s Report: Aimee thanked the SAU staff, AE/MS administrators and staff for their continued efforts and hard work.
5. Public Comment: Several community members stated their viewpoints regarding Phase 2 of the AE/MS Reopening Plan.
6. Principal’s Report: Dennis presented updated information regarding enrollment. There are currently 250 students, 85% are receiving hybrid educational services and 15% are participating remotely. He spoke of School Photo Day, Athletics, and the Student Flu Clinic.
8. New Business:
A. Hybrid/Remote to In-person Reconsideration Date: Dennis provided a presentation to the ASB and community, “AE/MS Reopening Process- First Reconsideration Date”. There are factors that will be researched before a decision can be made: ventilation; petition models; space management, and safety. Adam made the motion to move the reconsideration date to October 20, 2020. Dean made the second. All were in favor and the date was approved.
B. Lunch Prices/PLE Tool: Chris Michael, Merrimack Valley Food Service Director and Wendy LaClair, Administrative Assistant provided information regarding the Paid Lunch Equity Tool (PLE) as it relates to school meal prices and government-related reimbursements. Adam made the motion to discuss any potential price changes at the December Board Meeting. Dean seconded the motion. All were in favor and the motion was approved.
C. Suicide Prevention Plan: Randy detailed the district-wide Suicide Prevention Plan as created by Becky Kennedy, Merrimack Valley High School Guidance Counselor. Items have been added regarding anger and aggression. Aimee made the motion to approve the plan. Adam seconded the motion. All were in favor and the Suicide Prevention Plan was accepted.
9. Manifest Journal Entries: Dean made the motion to approve the manifests. Adam made the second. All were in favor and the journal entries were approved.
10. Superintendent’s Report: Mark thanked the community, teachers, administration and staff for their continued efforts and recognized Dennis for a thoughtful and well-prepared presentation. He and Randy recently attended an administrative conference relating to Social Emotional Learning and the hybrid model. They will be attending an upcoming Law Conference. He and other colleagues continue to testify to lawmakers concerning COVID-19 and its present impact on schools along with issues pertaining to funding and resources.
11. Assistant Superintendent’s Report: Randy expressed his gratitude to the AE/MS school community for their continued work and dedication. He recently met with the Senior Product Engineer from ALMA regarding the district’s student data input system.
12. Adjournment: Adam made the motion to adjourn at 8:50 PM.
Board Chair’s Script To Ensure Meetings Are Compliant With The Right-to Know Law During The State Of Emergency
At the opening of the meeting:
“As Chair of the Andover School Board, I find that due to the State of Emergency declared by the Governor as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with the Governor’s Emergency Order #12 pursuant to Executive Order 2020-04, this public body is authorized to meet electronically. Among the options in Emergency Order #12 is to “hold ‘hybrid’ meetings with both a ehysicallocation and remote access for the public and a quorum of the board.” That is what we are attempting to do this evening.
In accordance with the Emergency Order, I am confirming that: 1) We are utilizing ZOOM for this electronic meeting.
- a) All members of the Board have the ability to communicate contemporaneously during this meeting through this platform, and the public has access to contemporaneously listen and, if necessary, participate in this meeting through dialing the following phone #
1 929 205 6099 US (New York) Meeting ID: 856 2352 7011 Passcode: 790610
or by clicking on the following website address: bit.ly/asd-oct2020 and using the following password: 64bd85
- b) We previously gave notice to the public of the necessary information for accessing the meeting, including how to access the meeting using Zoom or telephonically. Instructions have also been provided on the website of the Board at: aemseagles.org
- c) If anybody has a problem, please email at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- d) Public Comment : Public comment will be accepted for agenda items only. The Board chair will indicate the appropriate time for comment during the meeting. We ask that you please keep comments concise so that they may be accurately memorialized. Additionally (and as always), the Board and administration welcome comment via email. Thank you for your understanding and support!
e) In the event the public is unable to access the meeting, the meeting will be adjourned and rescheduled. Please note that all votes that are taken during this meeting shall be done by roll call vote. Let’s start the meeting by taking a roll call attendance. When each member states their presence, please also state whether there is anyone in the room with you during this meeting, which is required under the Right-to Know law.”