By Donna Baker-Hartwell
Andover Historical Society
The Tucker Mountain School House will hold its last Open House for the season on Sunday, October 14, from 1 to 3 PM. As reported in last month’s Beacon, the 1837 building is getting a facelift which includes exterior painting and restored and rebuilt window sashes. Come and see the work still in process. Refreshments will be served.
Brad Hartwell replaced several clapboards and frieze boards in preparation for painting. Several volunteers, including Chris and Tim Norris and Arch Weathers, organized a painting day. Five of the ten window sashes are being restored by Arch. There were five sashes that were beyond restoration and are being rebuilt through RP Johnson and Son.
Donavon Freeman, Property Manager for Canterbury Shaker Village, confirmed that the sashes were not the original but second or even third generation. All of the old glass is being reused, with additional panes donated by Ken Reid.
Visits to the one-room schoolhouse may be made throughout the year by appointment. Please call either Pat Cutter, President of the Andover Historical Society at 735-5628, or Donna Baker-Hartwell at 735-5586.